Harpsichord hitch pin loops

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:54:50 +0100

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> Jim querried
>
> >I'm familiar with the German loop, but what's the French loop?
> >(No french jokes, please.)
>

> français: /////^v^v^v^v-O  ---- French
>
> allemand: ////O            ----- German
>

> bass strings usually have french.
> old Chickering single strung sections were french
>
> single treble strings like you find at the ends of sections and other
> loop/tie configurations like Baldwin SD6 middle section generally are german
>
> you need a lot more room between hitchpin and aliquot/bridge/whatever for a
> french loop.

But in return.... they generally lie lower on the plate.  Another variant of the
German is a double round for the hitchpin..which I think is supposed to
compensate for some stress caused by the string being wound around itself to
lock the loop. It also tends to keep the standard german from slipping and
tightening around the hitch pin... which sometimes happens.

> ZUT! Alors!!  NO jokes!!
>
> Conrad Hoffsommer PTG RPT, MPT, CCT, and eminent AAC

Brilliant description Condrad. I need add nothing more me thinks.

Cheers
RicB

Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.