String breakage

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:33:10 -0800

Yes, those early P202's did have troubles in the bass. Remember, it
was just after they took over the Everett factory. After breaking
two bass strings while tuning three very lightly used P202's at a
school, I looked, and saw that the string approached the coil at a
bad angle, so that it was trying to ride up where the coil first
started, especially for the lowest row of pins.

This was before they sent out rescaled strings, but they certainly
got my attention by sending me a complete set of bass strings, gratis. Superb
service -- if only the design had been as good as the service reps!

It all seemed so needless -- if they could just have drilled the
tuning pin holes so the pins leaned back at an angle, I doubt that
they would have broken any wire to speak of.

Susan