Harpsichord hitch pin loops

Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:06:21 -0600

Jim,

At 08:37 2/25/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>List,
>Does anyone have a website or instructions, tricks, etc. for making hitch pin
>loops for harpsichords? My loops are functional, but they don't look
>uniform and
>even.  Thanks.
>
>(BTW, I know you can buy them premade, but I now have 4 harpsichords  and it
>gets expensive to buy prefabs.)
>
>Jim Busby
>BYU

Do you have a t-handle wrench with a hook on it?  (zuckermann type)

Almost makes it fun.  Almost...

decant the full length of string you are to replace, plus enough to reach
out to end of key, plus about a foot.

clamp one end to something, chair/music stand/bench (I carry a 1" clamp and
popsicle sticks to grip string w/o leaving a groove)

I grab the other end with a needle nose, then hook the string about 5" from
pliers and make a 90° bend in the string.  The hook/tuning handle will be
at 45°.  Proceed to twirl the handle while keeping good tension.  The
tension and 45° handle should make your long (open) coils even.

When you have a sufficient length (depends on where in the scale it is -
look at it's neighbors for a guide) allow the string to go straight to the
hook.

-depending on the length of string, at this point you might want to let the
string relax and release the twist it's developed in the rest on the wire -
at lot of times i just let go of the needle nose and let the handle spin in
my fingers.

get tension on the string again and grab end with needle nose, but when you
spin this time keep the main tension on the hook and feed the wire at 90°
to make the tight coil.  I usually do 5/6 wraps tight.

cut off tail, or you can work the tail back and forth until it breaks off
right at the coil - looks real neat that way.

practice in your shop a few times before attacking the instrument

good luck

YMMV

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public. -Bryan White