chiffing attack sound in bass

Sun, 23 Feb 2003 03:33:43 -0500

Bob-
Though it might work, I would not necessarily subscribe to the advice
offered below by isaacah@sprint.ca, (otherwise unidentified, and, like
yourself, without any recent postings to this list.)  If, for no other
reason, this advice assumes a great deal about the actual nature of the
sound you are perceiving, as well as its origin.  I don't tend to look for
attack noise problems in the shoulders. Your previous approach seemed to
suggest a certain logical progression, though there is considerable
information you have not included, such as: brand, model, age, new or
rebuilt, type of hammer, proportions of acetone/keytop solution, how large
a "drop" you applied, the grit of sandpaper file used, etc.  You eliminated
the sound by hardening the strike area. but seem, to be overshooting.  If
you had to file away any crusting from the application of solution, I think
you've used too much or wrong ratio mix.  Lacquer/thinner may work
better.  A finer grit sandpaper, or subtle ironing of  the surface might
help.  Also, applying solution near, but not on the strike point, might
give you more control.

David Skolnik
Hastings-On-Hudson, NY