String breakage

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:01:50 -0600

The stature of our pianists would make me seem a tad cheeky to
suggest to them how they should be playing.  On of our teachers at
SMU stresses forte playing to his students.  He says that your piano
means nothing if your forte is not forte.  As a result, both he and
his students do break a lot of strings.  His job is playing and
teaching.  My job is fixing.

All this to say that it depends greatly on the player, their
technique, and the literature they are playing.  One girl -- who
recently recorded all the Legetti (sp) etudes -- broke LOTS of
strings while she was practicing for that session.  She later
recorded some Scriabin preludes and didn't break many during that
preparation.  Mozart doesn't break many strings, Liszt seems to break
more.  Replacing 10 strings a week is not uncommon for me.  It's just
part of the job.

dave
*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 2/20/2003 at 10:31 AM Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lance Lafargue" <lancelafargue@bellsouth.net>
To: "Caut (E-mail)" <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: February 20, 2003 6:24 AM
Subject: String breakage

> Hi,
> I'd like some feedback on everyone's experience with piano wire
life/string
> breakage and the need to restring pianos.  I have a University with
several
> Steinway and a few Baldwin D's and B's and they are breaking
strings in the
> treble.  I actually occasionally break them myself when tuning and
broke one
> once when I was string voicing/leveling.  They break at the V-bar.
Many of
> these pianos are only 7-15 years old.

Try to not think of this phenomena in terms of years, but in terms of
hammer blows. And not just in terms of the number of hammer blows,
but the quality of the hammer blows.

Under normal playing conditions (whatever those are) a typical treble
string will survive something on the order of 500,000 to 1,000,000
hammer blows without undo stress. But there are some assumptions
attached. It assumes hammers of reasonable resilience--an
increasingly rare characteristic these days. It assumes the hammers
are not excessively massive--another increasingly rare condition in
the modern piano. It assumes the hammer has a reasonably round, not
flattened, shape. It assumes the capo tastro bar is reasonable well
shaped. And it assumes the physical characteristics of the wire falls
within the average strength characteristics intended by the string
manufacturer. Some brands of piano wire stand up better than others,
but the differences are relatively minor.

We are currently using Mapes International Gold wire. It has
demonstrated somewhat better tensile strength and working life
characteristics than any of the others currently available and its
surface characteristic has a higher polish than most others--it's
cleaner. Even within one brand of wire, however, specifications such
as tensile strength are always averages, not absolutes. Some batches
of wire will run high, some low. A batch of Mapes IG wire running low
will break at lower tension than a batch of some other wire running
high. If a batch of wire runs low, all of the pianos strung with that
batch will be prone to string breakage some early.

(The acoustical qualities of all brands of piano wire are essentially
the same--claims of audible tonal characteristics between brands of
wire are highly suspect and unproven. Even my own.)

Assuming each note is played 100 times a day--I've not studies this
but I shouldn't this this an abnormal number for a practice room
piano--that gives you about 5,000 to 10,000 days of use. Assuming 250
days of use per year that adds up to 20 to 40 years of life for a
typical string on a typical piano. If the pianos are used daily this
comes down to 13.7 to 27.4 years of life.

Now, maybe the hammer moldings were running a bit on the heavy side.
Or perhaps someone put a set of (any brand--Japanese or German)
hard-pressed hammers on the piano. Or, maybe we let the capo tastro
get a bit grooved and rattley. Or we put a little lacquer on the
hammers to brighten up that killer-octave everyone has been
complaining about. Has the piano been suffering under the pounding of
some up-and-coming technical master who has not been taught the
subtleties of musicianship? (The size of the pianist does not seem to
be much of a factor here--some of the worst string-breakers in my
experience have been physically quite small. One of them a very
slender young women who couldn't have been 5' 1" or 5' 2". It's a
matter of technique and having not been taught the joys of dynamics
and subtlety. Did their pianos through the formative years lacked the
same?)

As all may be, bottom line is that the string life you are
experiencing may be quite normal given the design, the hammers, the
overall condition of the pianos and the pianists in question. Others
have indicated what can be done to prolong the string life of the
piano. To which I can only add: keep the hammers well shaped, keep
them light and keep them resilient. And resist the demands to make
the pianos bright and powerful. And try to impress on the
pounders--be they students or professors--that the beauty of the
pianoforte lies in its subtlety not its absolute power output.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder
Hoquiam, Washington  USA