Gamelan Tunings

Mitch Staples staples.13@osu.edu
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:56:04 -0500

Thanks, Fred, Dennis and Otto for your advice.  As it turned out there
wasn't much I could do to prepare - every gamelan builder
tunes differently and the scales bear no resemblance to any western scale.
They don't use letters to name the notes.  They use numbers.

In this particular gamelan the #6 note of both scales were the same and
according to the score #6 corresponded with b on the piano.  I tuned the
piano in equal temperament but had to lower the pitch about 110% to match
the general pitch level of the gamelan instruments.

The piano was tuned at A 440 for the first rehearsal and it really didn't
work.  When the pianist transposed her part down 1/2 step it was pretty
obvious.  The piano sounded a little tubby but no one seemed to mind.  No
strings broke when I brought the pitch back up, though it will be a while
before it will hold a good stable tuning.

It was worth the work it's a really neat piece.

Thanks again,

Mitch Staples