String breakage

Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:03:45 -0500

Lance,

Its funny, but I was just thinking of some of these same things. Last night
while tuning, I broke the first string (C#6) in our newest Steinway D
(delivered Dec. '99) and was a bit surprised at how early it occurred. It
has been my experience that once one breaks you can expect others to follow
on a regular basis. On other performance pianos I service on a regular
basis, 5-10 years seems to be the period where strings start breaking. This
piano is in our recital hall and is probably played 8-10 hours a day between
rehearsals and performances. We restring the top 2 capo sections on pianos
when we get tired of tying off strings or when the piano gets a little
Summer vacation, i.e.- when we can. I cut the old wire out, back the pins
out a few turns, and restring by forming coils on a pin, slipping it off and
onto the pin in the piano. This doesn't take as long as you might think and
also gives you the wonderful opportunity to deal with any cap, loose
bridge-pin, or notching problems. It also doesn't seem to take long for the
tuning to stabilize after this operation - probably because there isn't as
much wire to stretch and the thinner wire conforms more quickly.

To answer your questions, yes, yes, depends, depends - my restringing often
has more to do with the condition of the bridge, terminations and friction
problems rather than breakage.

Eric Wolfley
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati