Steinway Service

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:51:12 -0600

Several months ago I aksed how to weaken an overly strong shift-spring on a
model M.

Before returning to the clients to try standing on it (one suggestion I
recieved), I decided to give Steinway a call.

Within minutes, David Kirkland faxed me an image of the factory tool used
for adjusting spring tension.

It is a steel bar appearing to be 1 1/4" high x 6" long with a 3/4" X 3/16"
vertical slot about 3/8" from each end.

(having trouble picturing this? imagine a short,steel, damper up-stop rail
complete with screw-slots)

The caption reads: factory tool, shift-spring tension adjuster,1/2" thick
hardened steel.

The tool provides leverage to adjust tension, without having to remove the
spring, "terrific!"

I was actually "tickled" just to know the factory considers the spring as an
"adjustable" part.

Anyhow, I wanted you folk to know about this tool, as well as the freindly
and efficient service I received from Steinway today. "thanks David!"

OF course, if all else fails, I am prepared (in my client's abscence)to
stand on the spring. :>)

BTW, many years ago, a friend who owns a cycle & ski shop asked me "do you
know how we straighten a bent bicycle rim?"

"With the bike upside-down, we rotate the rim, spot the bow, and whack it
with a big mallet."

He continued, "Do you know how we charge for straightening bent rims?"

"FIVE BUCKS A WHACK!"

And now you know!

best regards,
Mark Cramer,