Update: Re: 'D' buzz

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:31:58 -0600

Not too lucky, though. It did come back! :-(

>         Sometimes we just get lucky. Congratulations!
>          Dale

However, a dealer tech was here over the weekend (I was out of town
for 4 days) doing a little voicing at the request of a faculty member
and he was able to find it.

Long story short, it turned out to be, what he called, one of the
screws that are used on the cheek block guides. A small, black, 1"
long screw. He said it might have even been there since from the
factory. Somehow, somehow it had gotten back to and wedged under the
edge of the low tenor bridge in the area where the longest treble
strings are on the hitch pins.

He found it by pressing down on the board in that area (it got worse)
then from underneath, pressing upward of the board and it got better.
They took off the lid to see better and he finally saw it and managed
to get it loose with a flexible rod of some kind and get it out with
a magnet.

I was correct about the area the buzz was coming from and the fact
that the sound HAD to be something on the board. I JUST COULDN'T FIND
IT!!! :-)

Thanks to all those who offered suggestions. Your help was much
appreciated. Now all I have to deal with on that instrument is the
possible "damage" that might be done to it in that pianist's faculty
recital tonight, all contemporary American music. The composers are:
Kenneth Frazelle, Stephen Albert, Charles Griffes, John Corigliano
and Aaron Kernis. One (the Kernis, I believe) involves a foot on the
keyboard and a lot of arm banging on the keys! That's music???? He
even asked me to attend the concert and touch up during intermission!

Regards,
Avery