help with action geometry

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:42:55 +0100

The measurements I have are :

Wippen Height: 3-1/4 inches (82.55 mm)

Hammer shank Height: 5-3/4 inches (146.05 mm)

Spread: 4-13/32 inches (111.9 mm)

Strings heights are supposed to be 192 mm & 200 mm

These are actual measures

Hope it helps

Regards
Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy
94400 VITRY sur SEINE
FRANCE
tel : 033 01 47 18 06 98
fax : 033 01 47 18 06 90
cell: 06 60 42 58 77

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]De la part de
Wimblees@aol.com
  Envoye : vendredi 14 fevrier 2003 01:05
  A : Pianotech@PTG.org; caut@ptg.org
  Objet : help with action geometry

  I am in the process of rebuilding a 1895 Model A, which was done once
before, but very poorly. The first thing I noticed, and the thing the
customer complained about, was an extremely heavy action. This was because
there was a lot of let off, about 1/2". When I removed the fall board, I
noticed that the pin block (which had been replaced), was sticking down from
the front stretcher about 1/4".  My first inclination was that the plate was
set back in the piano too high, and that is why there was so much let off.

  I have replaced the pin block, and the plate is back in the right
position, and there is good downbearing. But I am now starting to work on
the action, replacing the h/s/f and wips. Now I see why there was so much
let off. This other rebuilder used a 1 1/2" thick pin block. But instead of
planing down the entire block, he only trimmed down the ends, which rest on
the inner rim, but he left rest of the pin block the original 1 1/2". That
is why there is about a 1/4" of pin block sticking down below the stretcher.
Obviously that wouldn't allow the action to slide in. So in order to get the
action in, he lowered the action by shaving down the action frame mounting
blocks. (I think that is what they are called).

  I want to replace the blocks. But the question I have is measurements.
About 20 years ago when I put a new action in a Steinway, and these blocks
were not attached to the action frame. I think I remember I had to sort of
go by where the striking point was of the last couple of notes, combined
with the hieght of the hammers. I had a hell of time figuring out where to
put them. Is there some measurement I can go by to determine where I have to
put the blocks, and how high the action has to be?

  Wim