Estonia grand?

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:02:23 -0600

I assessed an Estonia 9' piano for rebuilding, yesterday. I could not find a
date or serial number on the piano anywhere, though there was a model #451
stamped within the soundboard decal.

The client suggests this piano may be at least 50 years old. Anyone have a
clue how I can find out?

The piano is in the worse shape I can recall for an instrument that was
still in use, but seems to have some potential.

It has an unusual frame (from my point of view) in that the treble plate
surrounds the bridges, but extends to the outer rim only in the form of four
large "paws," each of which has a lag.

The bass and tenor sections meanwhile have generous struts and
cross-bracing.

Presently the action is almost "frozen," at the balance rail holes, and the
hammer flanges which all squeek. All action screws are quite loose, meaning
several semi-tones are available to any one hammer, and the wippens are able
to pivot in all directions!  :>)

The tuning pins are very loose, (surprised?) and the bridge cap is hanging
on by the pins.

Obviously this instrument was an early attempt at exporting what might have
been a good instrument, in a more forgiving land.

Can anyone (Isaac, Richard B.) shed some light on this mystery piano?

thanks so much!
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University