old and new temperaments

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:26:20 +0000

Jeff wrote:
Who are we to have the freedom to "pick a tuning" for what a composer was
intending?  If we can't know what tuning the composer used, then where's the
educational value?  It becomes merely a novelty.  If we just pick the one we
like, that is no different than imposing ET on all of it, no?
Jeff

Well, no.....because, any of the alternatives from the many choices have the
circle of fifths structure, but ET is built with a chromatic structure.  We
may not know what exactly was tuned, (if there was indeed any exactitude
going on at all) but it's a pretty sure bet that it wasn't ET as we know it.

This brings up another topic, the idea that ET is only ET if it is EXACTLY
equal.  It is because of the chromatic nature of the structure.  But, this
same rule doesn't apply to well temperaments.... there is more room for
error, because the variations between the thirds in the progression are
larger.  With a one or two cent error, the graph will still present as a
bell-shape type curve, where once the straight line graph of ET gets any
bumps, it ceases to be ET.

hmmmmmmm....

Ron Koval