old and new temperaments

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:49:38 +0000

Hi all-

Jeff wrote:
If we "start out" with "milder modern" alternative temperament creations,
then where's the authenticity of the historical temperament?  Even using
Victorian Temperaments, which as I
understand it, were the best attempts possible at the time of achieving ET,
wouldn't be representative for earlier compositions.

I understand the desire to be as authentic as possible when trying to match
temperament to the period of the composer, but let's take a different look
at this.....

The ET that we use values progression of intervals in CHROMATIC order.  What
we'd like to hear, considering thirds, is an even progression as they
roughly double from octave to octave.

A well temperament shifts that progression to a circle of fifths order.  So,
once we've crossed over to any well temperament,(Toto, we're not in Kansas
anymore) it's this shared concept of progression from CEG to F#A#C# and back
to CEG that becomes the goal.  Sure, the slopes on the graphs are different,
displaying different solutions tried by different people throughout time.
So unless you find something in the historical record showing a composer's
preference, you are on your own to pick a tuning. I like to pick one that
plays through the circle without any surprise chords sticking out. The
reason I recommended a mild tuning, is that it's possible to put the sound
of key color back into the piano without taking the tuning to the point of
causing problems for the "modern ear".  It doesn't take much, even offsets
maxing out at 2-3 cents can give plenty of variation.

Now, Meantone tunings, that's a different story, for an older time...

someone else?

Ron Koval