S&S upright actions

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:54:55 EST

List,

I need some help here, I am out of easy solutions.

Problem:  Steinway uprights, 1 "K", 1 "X", and 1 "I", the first new, the
latter two rebuilt by yours truly.  All have hammers the bobble.  I have
rebuilt other Steinway uprights and serviced others of similar vintages which
had no problems.  From the best I can tell the jacks start too far under the
butt to clear the butt without extremes amount of dip.  In the "X", out of
desperation, (I was at a customer's home, far from my home and didn't want to
make another trip) I removed all of the butts from the center of the piano
(double flanges), removed the jack rest felt and shimmed them out about
1/16".

This was not a fun job!  Has anyone else seen this?  Any ideas as to a
simpler solution?

Thanks.

Andrew Remillard
ANRPiano.com