Old behaviour (temperament)

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:54:20 -0600

I like beets.  My wife and son will never eat them.  My daughter has eaten
beets before but won't try them again.

My wife and daughter like lima beans.  My son will never eat them.  I
tolerate lima beans and only eat them occasionally, never by personal choice.

My son LOVES chicken nuggets.  My whole family likes chicken nuggets.  For
a long time my son would hardly eat anything except chicken nuggets when we
went out for dinner.  Now he is trying new things.

I love sushi.  My wife, daughter and son will never, ever try sushi,
probably not even if they were starving.  Just a few years ago, I would
never have tried sushi, but now I like it.

People have different tastes in food.  Forcing someone to eat something
that don't want to eat is counter-productive.  As people grow, their tastes
might change.

Musical taste is a personal matter.  Most people like Equal Temperament,
some don't, a few will never tune ET.  Some people like other temperaments,
some have tried them and don't like them, and others will never try
them.  Forcing someone to do something they don't want to do is
counter-productive.  But perhaps, eventually, a person's musical tastes
might change, and they may like something that they originally didn't like.

Nice post, Conrad.

Sincerely,

David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO