D Buzz

Richard Adkins RADKINS@coe.edu
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 13:14:02 -0600

I had that"D buzz" myself....same note(s)...
it turned out to be comming from
slighly loose bolts on the piano truck, where the legs
sit.

Get down under there and bang that sucker with
a closed fist right in the middle. :-\

In the small hall here , the overhead lights or curtain tracking
also likes to buzz to that pitch.

Moving the piano makes it go away.

On the other D I found the hinge pin buzzes mentioned as well.

Sometimes the locks on some pianos will buzz but not every
day.

I have called the dealer out on occasion, when the piano teachers
complain. But neither of us was able to locate it, because, ofcourse
it would not buzz when we were there. I think it was the
teacher's portable metronome.

Anyhow...I have also found that the prop stick on some pianos
is a very good source for this, acts kind of like
the soundboard peg in violins. Grab one sometime
and see how much vibration is going through it!

good luck,
Richard