Bearing difference on different soundboards

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:46:02 +0100

Hello, Dale,

Yes I agree it is not easy to write about these, without sketches.
Sure that I measure how much the board move after un stringing with the same
method as you. That mean I can have things back in place at last.

But I did not thought of using the pre stressing method yet. I just think
about the error made by most while "reading" with a string, and having for
instance 10 mm apparent height below the bridge, when the bridge is slanted
a lot in fact as on Bösendorfers. The first time I've seen that I believed
there was something wrong, and I worked to have the rests higher.

In fact (I believe) the slant on the bridge mean that the thread method is
useless (unless we apply some fixed parameters as on new pianos) because the
back of the bridge is lower, the amount of defluxion should be computed in
regard of the apex of the 2 angles, and it is not possible with a thread, if
you see what I mean.

Talking about Nick articles, I understand that the 0.29 method is useless as
things move under the pressure, but he explain an approach based on the
evaluated crown in regard with rib length , that can with some computation
give the maximum amount of defluxion of a thread without oil canning the
board.
I was just talking about numbers there, a 1/4 " on a thread, when pushed
flat, will lower the bridge a little less, say if the ratio between speaking
length and rear length is 4 for 1, when lowering the string 5 units, only 4
are produced on the bridge, that was the only idea I wanted to express.

I totally agree with the remaining you wrote and I am very interested in the
john Hartmann articles. I will check if by chance I have these issues, but I
doubt of having them all.

Best Regards.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy