Bearing difference on different soundboards

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:13:37 +0100

Hello,

I understand recently that we probably don't have to apply down bearing the
same way on a rib crowned soundboard and on a "compression crowned" board,
as the last one will do it's best under a light load, while the crowned rib
bar ask for the down bearing to give them some more internal tension.

That makes a big difference in approach I guess.

A friend of mine use to fine regulate down bearing pressure with the
string's rest height while stringing, checking with the strings at pitch as
he goes.

Do some of you apply this method ?

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.