MOInertia

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:26:05 +0100

And I guess you are perfectly right with that, as I noticed an a hard
to accelerate piano that had a very even zone for soft playing (even,
but somewhat slow because a lot of lead have been used to
counterbalance leaded hammers). The sudden difference in reaction when
one want to play more strong exacerbate the even BW effect, but doing
so it gives a difficult to understand action (from the pianist point
of view)

So it add a new sensation in the touch of the piano, but does not
correct the remaining that is used more often, unless you play really
soft music only.

A friend of mine pianist tells me about "soft medicines" when talking
about even BW actions, all other things being equal, that is worth the
try but as you state only for the lighter touch.

What is good with the BW method is the appreciation of action's
ratios, if one knows that it cant compare with leverage measures made
with the length of arms, the method is still accurate and easy to deal
with.

On another hand we can get good results changing leverage issues to
accommodate a little heavy hammers - or poorly designed actions.

Happy new year

Isaac OLEG

You wrote :

<I think of  the Balance weigh as setting the lowest threshold  for
soft
> playing. If,  for example, you have a BW of 38grams, the very least
force  needed to start to move the action is 38gm*gravity or
38gm*980cm/sec^2. Balance weight doesn't tell us anything about how
the action will respond to more force than this.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos