MOInertia

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:08:36 +0100

madelyn mrykalo wrote:

> John,
> I don't know how much key leads really affect moi in the total picture
> of things, since the leads serve at least two purposes; one, as a
> "counter weight" to what weight there is bearing down at the capstan,
> and two, as moi regulator of sorts. But the leads seems to affect the
> total moi more than it appears.
> Doesnt the leverage system of the action reduce the hammer's effect on
> moi?  So if you take the moi of the hammer /shank assembly separately
> (taking it out of the chain of leverages), will it not seem as though
> it has a greater effect than it really does?

I've asked this point on two occasions already and we havn't gotten
really into the point. Its one thing to point out the individual MOI of
the parts as John, and others have done. But how these turn out after
leverage is figured would be another thing. If it came anywhere close to
the roughly 5:1 ratio figure... then suddenly the Hammer and Shank MOI
become reduced by a factor of 5 and we are talking a whole different
degree of significance for the key MOI.

>      Key MOI = 10,307 gmcm^2
>      Wippen MOI = 3149 gmcm*2
>      Hammer and shank MOI = 165,528 gmcm*2

Mark has touched a bit on this bit in relation to gear ratios I believe.

RicB