More technology...more thought

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:39:10 +0100

Hello,

I have heard a definitive loss of sustain and less richness, as the piano
may act as if there are only 2 strings that is understandable.

But the immediate (or very fast) coupling, is giving a better tone at the
beginning, which is also understandable  (are not you after that effect when
tuning, girls and guys ?).

On the Wapin list Michael Wahen have analyzed the samples (spectra, decay,
time series) and the graphs seem to confirm what I've heard (I try not to
forget that out of tune give the impression of more life and more power
while listening).

Well it is may be a good idea to use those on those terrific spinet you seem
to work with sometime, but it does not make sense on a fine piano at all me
think (I like the 3 strings unison too much).

My take is also that the remaining string couples with the 2 strings system
better,so the whole unison may be easier to obtain.

Then, What about stabilization of the tension after the bridge ?

I also believe that when unison fail the cause is not in the string but more
in drift of tension in non speaking segments, or pin unsettling. A stable
unison will remain stable even if you pound on it, the piano goes out of
tune with HR changes and temperature, then of course you have different
drifts appearing, if the coupling is well done (manually I'd say) , the
unison is really long lasting usually

I like the John Page idea to try to couple at the bridge pins to fight false
beats.

I guess it should be possible to produce with strong piano wire little metal
clamps that work the same.

I like to know if you hear the loss of richness in those simplified samples
too.

Then have a very good last day of the year, hurry, it is almost finished !

Greetings.

Isaac OLEG

If one of the coupled strings goes flat by 4 hz, the combined pitch drop
would be 2 hz.

If the uncoupled string goes flat, it is business as usual for wandering
unisons.

The coupler will delay the overall degrading of unisons, but not prevent,
reduce or delay the failure of the uncoupled unison.

So the couplers reduce the chances of an audible unison failure over a given
time period by about 50%.

  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm - yes.

  The audio and video clips seem to be about as good as that kind of thing
can reasonably get over IP (Internet) transmission.  Pretty striking
differences between "before" and "after".

  I wonder what they will sound like in the flesh...let alone what other
effects they might produce.  Kind of hard to imagine them being made out of
stainless.  What happens if they get grunged up?

  Ed, I'm sure we're all going to want your feedback on this!  As I think of
it, such an upright as you suggest would be a really good place to test
these things in a "real world" setting...still, it won't fix the jumping
pins and rendering problems....

  Best.

  Horace