Inertia

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:49:14 +0100

James,

I guess that you mean that inertia is reflected (or the expression of)
by the force required ..etc . Is it difficult to use a more precise
term or is it really better for all of us to admit the use of the word
inertia while understanding resistance ?

> Inertia is the force required to accelerate or decelerate a
> mass.  There are a variety of ways we can say this.  A fly-wheel has
the
> same inertia  whether it is spinning or stationary.  However, if we
have
> a stick that we  are going to hold by the end, and swing back and
forth, and
> we have a mass that we can clamp at any location out on the stick,
then
> the "moment of  inertia" of that mass (just the mass, not the stick)
will
> be proportional  to the square of the distance between our hands and
the
> mass.

May be I am only making intellectual remark , may be it is not at all
annoying to use that word in a common sense, but may be it can induce
reasoning errors later, I don't know.

I for one understand what you mean (I guess). The only comment I can
make at these days on keys that are leaded so to have a lower moment
of inertia, is that I feel (when playing) the key as having a
different compliance than the rest of the action -and may be that is
for other reasons (flex, etc)

In the same way assist springs seem to induce less coherence in the
action leverage (from a kinetic point of view)
A little in the same way a mismatch between hammer's weight and
leverage gives me the impression of incoherence at the hammer/shank
part of the action.

Well I also have beaten to death these point of view, I'll stay quiet
and try to follow the remaining now .>)

Best Regards.

Isaac