What is Inertia

madelyn mrykalo madvinmryk@yahoo.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:57:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi
What we are dealing with here is moment of inertia, as Don (for one) points out.  This differs from inertia in that inertia is a quantity which is solely dependent upon mass. The more mass which an object has, the more inertia it has. Moment of inertia deals with mass around a pivot and with how far or close that mass is to the pivot point, giving you more moment of inertia the further out that mass is from the pivot.  So when dealing with leads in a key, we would be talking about moment of inertia.

Vince Mrykalo
University of Utah