What is Inertia - lead placement

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:14:47 +0100

Ed, Don, Jim, Ric,  and all other Santa Claussers there.

My "impression" on lead placement  is that having that larger lead
mass near the balance rail is certainly not innocent, but I suspect
that the process involved have more to do with the key flex than
purely action move and ratio, acceleration and other computable facts.

It is just that indeed the abrupt stop of the heavy key front on the
punching, is playing a very noticeable role in the way the energy is
given to the strings. The key is much more probably acting like a
spring than a rigid wood piece in faster modes of play.  If we think
about it a tad that makes sense, and loading the spring in the part
where it is most solicited certainly may slow it a tad. The action is
jerking when the key bottom, use a setup with a dial gauge on the
balance rail anywhere and you'll be surprised to see how much move
occur there (you can push the keybed from below with 2 fingers usually
and have a very noticeable move yet)

For comparison, every time I knock my head hardly against a wall I see
the light (well not very physician terms I guess).

I suspect that the high speed camera can tell it to us, as well
probably as synchronization checking like Jim propose to conduct. (But
I've seen those sensors used at the IRCAM, and they are not mass
less).

For fun , one can conduct a little experiment using 5 different kind
of felt punching under five white notes, and hear the result (or
better record it to further analysis).

Another one (I'll try that) could be to check the way the action react
with "zero dip" (hard support under the punching).

My idea is that may be the key bottom before letoff have occurred, in
the faster modes of play , then letoff occur because the hammer shank
is also flexing and release ...

If some have data about that I certainly like to hear them. The
heaviness of actions are most perceptible when one want to play strong
and keep some possibilities of expressiveness.

I also have the idea that the leverage is changing enough in the end
of the stroke (during letoff) to be an important parameter while
playing, and this is never checked with our balancing methods (While
Schimmel tells about the use of a weighted wooden block to verify that
all notes "talk" at pp level with a 100 g pressure if memory serves)

Well and eternal work in progress !

Kind Regards to anyone (but Joe who makes me the affront to say he
have doubt about my hide glue ;>)

happy... etc.

Isaac

Isaac OLEG