Touch weight

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:59:55 +0100

Ric,

The touch I've seen with a centered leading, was acting like a brake,
or a filter, it tend to push the key in a " preffered velocity mode "
that was too perceptible (on the instrument I have tested).

This goes for a very even and perceptible sensation of evenness of
inertia (weight sensation)  but strangely this evenness did not seem
to me like it can play a role in expressiveness or musicality of the
piano (action).

My gut feeling should also to lead a 2/3, only to lessen the lead
quantity in the key.

I have much more to say about a PDT work I've tested, but it was a
somehow extreme job, with capstan moved almost 1 cm on the sharps, 115
spread, so probably not the best example of an installation.

Nowadays, it seem  to confirm what I was thinking of, meaning the very
perceptible sensation of eveness of BW added in the mix something new,
that pianists are not really used to but also, it so not mask the
unevenness of acceleration that remain in the action. (that mean it
may eventually be more disturbing than helping in some cases).

Not to say the formula or the method is wrong, it is just a one
experience on a particular setup (Schimmel 190 grand - 1978).

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG