Touch weight

Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:00:33 -0800

Richard:

I you mean have I been willing to allow a higher balance weight in order to
gain lower inertia, no, I haven't done that, though I have encountered it
on some older European pianos without any real objection.  It is not,
however, my preference.

With respect to key lead placement.  On existing key sets, I use the
existing placement as much as possible if it falls into a pattern.  Most
good quality pianos have a distinct patter.  I will clean up the pattern if
it is totally random, as I have seen on occasion, but I don't remove all
leads, plug all holes and start over, as I have seen some people do.  When
starting from scratch with a new set of keys, my current preference is a
minimum number of leads:  3-2-1-0 going up the key board, or 4-3-2-1-0
depending on the leverage, hammer weight, balance weight combination.  I
try and set the first row of leads about 1/3  to 1/2 of the way from the
balance rail to the front of the key, but the starting point is predicated
on sample placement on the lower notes on the piano to see how the pattern
will fall into place.   I can't say that my choices are based on
calculations of inertia.  It's more based on esthetics, experience about
feels good to me, and my reluctance to drill 5 holes in any key.  I like
the FW at note 1 to be around 32 - 34 grams.  I try and space the first row
in a line parallel to the balance rail and space the other rows as evenly
as possible.  I don't mind trimming a lead here and there in order to keep
a uniform pattern.  I will say that it is the exception that I install new
sets of keys and have to deal with the leading pattern from scratch, I just
haven't gotten many pianos to do that have that kind of deterioration, but
it does happen.

A good holiday to everyone.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net