Touch weight

Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:54:40 -0800

It's simply a guideline.  The maximum also does not suggest that inertia
problems suddenly begin once you exceed the maximum.    Adding weight adds
progressively more inertia until at some point it becomes objectionable.
That subjective line will vary.  As is usually the case, it's a bell shaped
curve.   I personally prefer a maximum a bit lower than this; around 80% of
the published maximum, and I am content with a correspondingly lighter
strike weight or hammer.  Matching the exact curve is not that important as
long as it's a smooth curve.  Encroaching on or exceeding the maximum is
less of a problem at the top of the action where there is less mass in the
hammer and, therefore, less overall lead in the key, than at the bottom.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net