Touch weight

Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:36:24 +0100

Ed...

Here is a little experiment for you as long as you are looking in this
direction. Obviously you seem familiar with Stanwoods Front Weight
quantity. So you know also that you can achieve same front weight by
useing more lead closer to the center of the key.

Ok... say you need a key with 40 grams of front weight. Take a 25 gram
weight and place it on the (unleaded) key so that your Front weight
reads 40 grams. Now mark that spot.  Now take 2 lead weights that weigh
12.5 grams each and place them on opposite sides of your mark equal
distances from it. Try several equal distances. Then try 5  weights that
are 5 grams each... on exactly on the spot.. the other 4 as above...
equal distance from  / opposite sides  of your mark.

Now before you run and start figureing point mass for each lead....
remember the key, even an unleaded one, has mass of its own. Figureing
the key inertia this way is going to require you to take many point
measurements to get a good representation.

I think you will find that we need a more direct and quick way of
measuring key inertia, and that we still dont really know how to equate
that with touchweighting beyond very general purpose.

Intuitively tho.... we know that more mass in general leads to higher
inertia. On the other hand... for same FW... lower inertia is achieved
by concentrating greater mass towards the center of the key.

So you can without further ado use these two facts to in general decide
relative key inertia levels. Yet we still havent really quantified just
how much key inertia is desireable for any given action ratio, SW, etc.

Just some food for thought... tho no doubt you've already thunk up some
of this :)

Cheers
RicB

--