Touch weight

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:19:52 -0500

Vince-

Wow!  Easy to calculate.  (I thought it was one of those progressions to =
the infinitesimal formulas.)

This gets exactly to the unanswered question when setting front weights, =
i.e. one in front or two in the back? etc.

In fact it should be fairly easy to make a reference chart in, say half =
inch increments.

I'm rebuilding an action after Xmas, and I just might knock out the old =
weights, plug the holes and go for broke.

Thanks very much!  This is a real Xmas present!

Ed Sutton
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: madelyn mrykalo=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 8:47 AM
  Subject: Re: Touch weight

  Ed-
  We measured the weight in grams of a lead for the mass (m).  I.e. 14.1 =
grams for a 1/2 inch lead is usual, then for r we measured the distance =
of the lead from the middle of the balance hole to the middle of the =
lead in inches.  So I=3D14.1X4"  would be for one lead (I just picked a =
figure 4" for the distance).  Then if there is another lead, do the same =
for it, adding it to the first lead.  So I=3D14.1X4" + 14.1X2" (if the =
second lead is 2" from balance) and so  on.  This gets some figure that =
sort of arbitrarily represents the moment of inertia, larger in the =
bass, and graduating to smaller as we go up into the treble.  I think =
with some research the moment of inertia figure can come to mean =
something to us.  Empirically finding out what kind of figures pianists =
like would help set a general standard, I think.

  It seems to me right now if you can get those figures to graduate =
smoothly you can really even out the feel.  Another question arises as =
to should we smooth out those figures between the sharps and naturals or =
let the sharps have a "lighter" number as they naturally do, because of =
their shorter length.

  Ed Sutton <ed440@mindspring.com> wrote:
    Vince-

    Never having learned calculus, I don't know how to work a formula =
like this.

    Assuming that I have
    -Strikeweight continuity within Stanwood's suggested range
    -Frontweight continuity within Stanwood's ceiling
    -Even and acceptable DW & UW

    How can I use this formula to improve action performance?

    Thanks!

    Ed Sutton
      ----- Original Message -----=20