Touch weight

madelyn mrykalo madvinmryk@yahoo.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:18:49 -0800 (PST)

Fred,
Interestingly enough, in order to get moment smoothly
graduating, we have so far found that a strict leading
pattern will probably get you in or near the ballpark,
but not smoothly graduated.  Just how far we can stray
from a smooth graduation of moment without
compromising the evenness is not yet certain.  But we
did find that once we decided on a front weight
pattern or curve, and made the moment graduated from
that, there emerged a kind of leading pattern, with
small variations.

I hope to have some numbers to share soon, as we have
only just begun to do this kind of figuring.

--- Fred Sturm <fssturm@unm.edu> wrote:
> Vince,
> 	This seems, BTW, to be an argument for weighting a
> keyboard as a whole,
> using a template to position leads, as opposed to
> "individually weighting."
> Which is a notion that has a lot going for it. As
> Roger Jolly likes to say,
> individual weighting is usually just a way to cover
> up errors elsewhere.
> And, of course, using wipp assist springs allows one
> to reduce the overall
> moments of inertia. Exactly to what extent one
> should do this is an open
> question. And, I suppose, subject to a great deal of
> personal preference.
> 	I'm curious: have you calculated moments of inertia
> for a number of
> keyboards, and do you have some data to share?
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> University of New Mexico

=====