Touch weight

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:54:05 EST

In a message dated 12/19/03 8:42:30 AM Central Standard Time, fssturm@unm.edu
writes:
Ron Coners and Eric Schandall say to use a very tiny, controlled amount of
methanol. Ron talks about applying it with the end of an awl. The idea is
not to wash out the teflon which impregnates the cloth. This doesn't
actually lubricate, it just dissolves the teflon a bit and resizes it to
the pin. If you apply methanol in a "broadcast" method - just soaking
everything - you are likely to end up with a mess. At worst, next to no
friction and spongy centers, or so I'm told. (This is not from my own
experience, but from various things I've heard from various people.) And
Protek has no noticeable affect, or very, very little.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
I was going to work on the keys first, making sure they are free of any
friction. I was going to spray Teflon on the balance rail at both the top and
bottom, and spray the front bushing cloths. If there is still some friction,
carefully ease the bushings. Next I was going to spray the wippen cushions. Last I
was going to check hammer flange pinning. I do this by setting the action on a
cradle, and doing the swing test, trying to get all the hammers to swing
evenly.

I have, in the past, repinned those that were not giving me at least 5
swings. I have, on occasion, used protek to loosen up the pinning. But now you say I
should use small amounts o methanol, instead of protek. What is the
difference, and why?

Wim