Touch weight

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:49:41 -0700

WIm,
	I just want to add one thing to what others have written. You wrote that
you would be doing some lubrication and pinning, hoping this would "get
better upweight measurements." Whatever you to to friction will affect both
up and down weight. Increase in friction will increase DW, and decrease UW.
And decreasing friction will do the opposite - decrease DW and increase UW.
	If you start with balance weight, adding the frictional component to it
will give you downweight. Subtracting the frictional component from it will
give you upweight.
	So pinning will probably increase friction (assuming that you are pinning
for additional firmness and friction), thereby increasing DW and decreasing
UW. Lubing will do the opposite.
	Lubing a modern Steinway action center is different from any other center.
Ron Coners and Eric Schandall say to use a very tiny, controlled amount of
methanol. Ron talks about applying it with the end of an awl. The idea is
not to wash out the teflon which impregnates the cloth. This doesn't
actually lubricate, it just dissolves the teflon a bit and resizes it to
the pin. If you apply methanol in a "broadcast" method - just soaking
everything - you are likely to end up with a mess. At worst, next to no
friction and spongy centers, or so I'm told. (This is not from my own
experience, but from various things I've heard from various people.) And
Protek has no noticeable affect, or very, very little.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Monday, December 15, 2003 4:41 PM -0800 Wim Blees wrote