Wim - pinning?

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:25:43 -0700

Wim,
=20
Do you have a Verituner, Cybertuner, or something with a spectrum
analyzer?  If you do, would you take a "before and after" of A4 for me?
If you still have a "thumper" (striker) it helps. We're interested in
the peaks of the first 8 partials. We have a physicist who is helping in
some studies. Thanks.
=20
Jim Busby
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 2:31 PM
To: caut@ptg.org; traylorg@equaltemperament.com
Subject: Re: Wim - pinning?
=20
In a message dated 12/12/03 1:55:18 PM Central Standard Time,
jim_busby@byu.edu writes:
	Wim,
=09
	I'm still interested in knowing how the pinning, seating, and
hammer
	mating were on that S&S. (the new one) Maybe I missed it, but
did you
	ever find out why it seemed "dead" or whatever they complained
of? I'm
	interested to know if it was like those we received here and
after
	repinning and other misc. "concert prepping" they came alive.
The
	repinning especially made a big difference.
=09
	Don and Ed also mentioned that it needed to be "played in" and I
must
	admit that we have a fine piano major from Japan that played the
heck
	out of our B to the tune of about 8 hr.s per day for nearly two
weeks!
	I'm sure that was a big factor.=20
=09
	Let me know if that's what you found too, or if you think it was
	mental thing on the artist's part. I still have 6 more to prep.
=09
	Thanks,
	Jim Busby BYU
Jim  et all
=20
I have not done anything, yet. The majority of posts I got recommended
that the piano gets played. However, when I met with the piano faculty
last Tuesday, they didn't like the idea of graduate students playing the
piano. So we're going to move the piano to the studio of one of the
piano faculty, where he will play it for a couple of months. After I get
back from vacation, I am going take the action and check pinning, lube
it, etc.. Then let this guy play it, and see what the results are.=20
=20
The main problem, I think, is that there is not enough brilliance in the
hammers, which is what these concert artists like. That is the sound
they get from the older piano. It has a lot of "presence." In discussion
the problem with the piano faculty, one of them said she thought the
piano was too harsh. But when I said to get rid of that sound, I would
need to voice the hammers down, we all recognized that that would be
opposite of what were trying to achieve.=20
=20
I'll let everyone know the results in a couple of months. I know that
doesn't help you now, but if you can get your pianos played by students,
I think you're on the right track.
=20
Wim=20
=20