piano purchase specs

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:02:53 -0700

Here's what I finally came up with, and purchasing seems to be going along
with it (I should note that I chose piano models from among those available
at local vendors.):
Memo to purchasing department

	The Music Department has recently implemented a course fee for the purpose
of on-going replacement and maintenance of pianos. Purchase of new
instruments will occur regularly for the foreseeable future.
	It is vital that the pianos purchased be if the highest musical quality,
and that they be manufactured to a high standard to ensure longevity and
reliability.
	It is not possible to quantify selection criteria for pianos (or for many
other musical instruments, including, for example, violins) in a purely
objective way. There is a broad consensus as to which models of instruments
from which manufacturers will generally meet quality standards. However,
individual instruments within any given model will vary considerably from
one another. Obtaining appropriate instruments requires individual
selection.
	We understand that we are constrained by state law to follow procedures
which provide for a fair and honest selection procedure. We would like to
propose the following as an appropriate way to select pianos. We would:
1) List specific models made by specific manufacturers as pianos known to
meet quality criteria, and invite bids to provide those instruments. In
general, we would try to list at least four models made by four different
manufacturers where possible.
2) Invite vendors to propose, if they wish, models which they consider to
be equivalent, noting that the selection committee would determine whether
or not such instruments would meet our requirements.
3) State that while price will be a criterion for selection, individual
pianos will be selected for purchase individually. The vendor should
provide an opportunity for the selection committee to audition pianos
individually.
4) State that the UNM Music Department will generally wish to establish and
maintain a varied inventory of pianos, in order to expose students to a
wide range of tone and response. Thus, in general purchases will be of more
than one model, and from more than one vendor.

We wish to make our initial purchase as early as possible in 2004, with a
goal of obtaining four upright pianos. For this purpose, we would propose
the following language for the request for bids:

The UNM Music Department is seeking bids for the purchase of four upright
pianos by January 31, 2004. These pianos should be of
Professional/Institutional quality as described below:

1) Pianos purchased will be between 45? and 52? in height. Probable
purchase will include one 45 - 46?, two 48? and one 50 - 52?, but this mix
may vary depending on instruments available.
2) Bids will be entertained for the following makes and models:
Boston: UP-118, UP-126, UP-132
Kawai: UST-7, UST-8, UST-10, UST-12, K-20, K-30, K-50, K-60, K-80
Mason &  Hamlin: 50
Petrof: 115, 125, 131 (or equivalent Weinbach)
Schimmel: 120, 122, 124, 130
Steinway: 1098, K
Yamaha: P-22, U-1, U-3, U-5
3) Vendors may submit bids on pianos not listed above, which they believe
to be of equivalent quality. The selection committee will determine whether
such pianos meet Music Department criteria.
4) While price will be a major consideration, actual selection of
instruments for purchase will be made by audition. The selection committee
will examine instruments individually to determine which will meet the
needs of the department, based on considerations of tone, response, and
character. Vendors should plan to provide an opportunity for this audition
process.
5) The Music Department wishes to have a variety of instruments for
educational purposes. Hence, it is likely that purchases will be made from
more than one vendor.
6) Used pianos may be offered, provided they are in like new condition, and
are less than ten years old.

	For the audition portion of the selection of pianos, I would like to use a
committee of three. Each will audition each piano, and will rate each piano
on a rating sheet as follows:

1) Tone quality: unacceptable (0), satisfactory (1), very good (2),
outstanding (3) [written comments]

2) Dynamic range: unacceptable (0), satisfactory (1), very good (2),
outstanding (3) [written comments]

3) Responsiveness of action: unacceptable (0), satisfactory (1), very good
(2), outstanding (3) [written comments]

4) Overall impression of piano: unacceptable (0), satisfactory (1), very
good (2), outstanding (3) [written comments]

We would then do a numerical average to rate the various pianos, and
collate that with price to make the actual selection.

	I'll let you know how this works. We are hoping to complete the process in
January or February.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico