admission charges

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:46:06 -0500

Hi Fred,
Well, this is the first year that private funds and tuition revenues
have exceeded state funds for us, and that, due to a huge tuition
increase they had to impose to offset severe state budget cuts, and we
still had to make deep cuts in our operating budgets. (that's why I
have no problem with charging a couple bucks for recitals and concerts)
  South Carolina already has one of the highest tuition rates in the
southeast among major state colleges (the joke is that U of Virginia
and U of SC compete for the highest tuition rates in the southeast), so
I'm not sure how our governor thinks we can just be weaned off like
that.  My first impression is to expect pretty lean times on the
horizon, even compared to these low budget years.

The University of South Carolina was one of the nation's first state
land-grant institutions, and has been a state supported school for over
200 years.  So, one would think such a historical change would prove
difficult, particularly in a state which isn't exactly regarded as a
mecca for big business (which, I would think, is where we would have to
make up a large part of the difference).

I haven't actually read his plan.  I've just seen the headlines and
heard the news story snip.  But I'm going to try to find it so I can
read more about it soon.  But from what I've heard so far, he's wanting
to redirect college state funds to be able to address other education
funds shortfalls.  So, its not like he's going to use it to cut taxes
or anything.
Jeff