Shop ventilation

Becker, Lawrence (beckerlr) BECKERLR@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 08:44:46 -0500

Lance-

I recently consulted with a mechanical contractor to size a fan for our
bathroom.  The bathroom is basically 9x9x9', and 50 cfm were plenty for that
volume.  Using that as a rough guide and assuming a 10' ceiling for your
12x15' workspace gives an equivalent of 123 cfm.  In the Grainger catalogue,
they have axial fans that look as though they would be wall- or
ceiling-mounted, and with 30, 55, 105, 115 & 117 cfm.  Ask your
contractor-landlord, but it looks like the higher end of that spectrum would
be in the ballpark.

They also have one at 550 cfm.  Now that would be a new sensation.

Just stabs in the dark.

Lawrence Becker, RPT
Piano Technician
College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati

-----Original Message-----
From: Lance Lafargue [mailto:lancelafargue@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 9:49 AM
To: 'College and University Technicians'
Subject: Shop ventilation

List,
Can anyone help me with ventilation solutions?  I have a new 12x15'
workspace and I will be using lacquer to harden hammers, some light aerosol
spraying of lubricants, lacquer, etc., and need to run a simple vent out of
a commercial roof to keep the smell/toxins out of other rooms adjacent.  I
thought several of you likely had experience with this.  Thanks!

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO