S & S cracked plate (Modified by Kent Swafford)

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:54:09 -0500

Mark Cramer wrote:
> Here is a crack in the frame of the 1912 "B" I mentioned some time ago.
>
> You will notice it runs from the screw-hole along the strut on one side,
> and to the first tuning-pin of F2 on the other.
>
> My hunch is that I will find a void in the pin-block fit when
> I tear-down, and perhaps loosening the screw may close the gap somewhat.
> (?) Nonetheless, this is a new experience for me.
>
> I would appreciate some assurance that this crack will not cause future
> worries (given a good pin-block fit), and also advice on how to
> cosmetically fill/repair the crack such that it won't reappear and spoil
> the new plate finish.
>
> (I would also like full guaranteed income, indexed for inflation for the
> rest of my days, and to work only for the sheer thrill of it... why
> not?!  :>)
>
> Thanks in advance, and also to Trevor Nelson, RPT (Boulder, Co.) for
> providing such a good photograph.

Mark,

I have seen this type of crack on the B many times before. It's probably
due to a flaw in the casting process. This crack shows up on a lot of Bs
from 1910 to 1920. You should check and see if it also has a crack
running from an agraffe in the middle of the tenor area running forward
to open air in front of the plate flange. This happens on the agraffe
that is closest to the edge of the plate. Many of the ones I have seen
have this crack as well.

If it is just the crack from the screw hole I think it will give you
little problem but if it has the agraffe crack you may have a problem
especially if it goes through the flange. To stabilize the screw hole
crack I would drill a small hole at the end and fill this with Bondo.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979