S & S cracked plate (Modified by Kent Swafford)

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 07:18:46 EST

In a message dated 12/7/03 11:09:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Cramer@BrandonU.CA writes:
Here is a crack in the frame of the 1912 "B" I mentioned some time ago.

You will notice it runs from the screw-hole along the strut on one
side, and to the first tuning-pin of F2 on the other.
Hi, Mark, and colleagues -

First of all, thanks for a very nice photo file!

The crack you describe and show is nearly identical with one in a 'B' in my
care from the same vintage.  This might indicate something a bit amiss with the
castings at that point in time.  (However, I can't recall other examples from
my 35 years of rebuilding experience.)  The one in my care is due for a
rebuild some time soon, but it is remarkably well preserved for its age.  It is
perfectly stable as is.  I, like you, hope it will not be worsened by the
rebuilding process.  I have a few experiences with broken plates, all of which ended
happily.  And this type of break seems less worrisome than any of the others
I've encountered.

Do please keep us informed as to your progress and outcome!

- Tom McNeil -
Vermont Piano Restorations

"To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the
stupid have an answer for every question." - Edward Abbey