Harsh clanging bass

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 21:57:04 EST

In a message dated 12/4/2003 1:07:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
DMannino@kawaius.com writes:
Original message ---------------------------------------->
From: <PNOTNR@aol.com>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: Harsh clanging bass

We have a Baldwin SD, about 6 years old.  Recently the piano teacher
mentioned that the bottom octave and a half develops a very harsh percussive sound
when notes are repeated at forte or louder.   An inital attack sounds okay, and
the pinning seems similar to the rest of the instrument, (although I didn't
measure the flanges).

What can I look for as a cause of this problem?  Thanks.

Gordon Large, RPT
Colby College
Waterville, Maine
    Gordon
   Unlevel strings or unmated hammers or both. Some of that kind of sound is
a normal phenomena because on repeated notes the strings are phasing however
they wish. If the hammers are flat on top or just harder it exacerbates the
problem, no what I mean.
  Dale