Hammer Shanks, etc.

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:50:54 -0500

Alan McCoy says that in the world of art, "facts" must still be
interpreted.  That's absolutely true, and there lies one of the big
problems.  Is the artist pointing out a real problem, or he/she just
up-tight and nervous about the up-coming performance?  Which is it?  We
have to figure that out.  So as technicians, we must deal with both sides
of the coin, but when we talk among ourselves, we must stick to the facts,
or else we will find ourselves out in the fog.  A glaring case in point was
an old "D" that a young artist rejected, requiring that another one be
brought in from 120 miles away.  That same artist was back in town two
years later, tried an old "D" at a local dealer, and really liked it.
Unknown to her, it was the same piano she had rejected two years before,
and nothing had been done to it, or for it.

Jim Ellis