harpsichord moving?

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:11:25 -0700

Geoffrey,

Could you give some details about the device i.e. where did you get it,
cost, picture??

Thanks,
Jim Busby BYU

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Geoffrey Pollard
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 7:05 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: harpsichord moving?

John,

We had this difficulty with our fortepiano. Quite a heavy, delicate
and expensive instrument on four spindly legs - a manual handling
nightmare for our attendants ( and me, as I'm also the Safety
Officer). After 3 different attempts, we have the perfect solution. A
four castor trolley with a hydraulic adjustable table. The trolley
rolls under the instrument ( keyboard end) with the table lowered;
table is raised by a foot-pump till the legs are well clear of the
floor. The table is small enough to fit between the legs with the
body overhanging,  so it can pass through doorways only just wider
than the instrument.

The only modification required to the fortepiano were some battens on
the underside so that the knee levers were protected. The trolley was
fairly expensive but it does double duty with any other kind of
moving/raising of heavy items and equipment.

The instrument stays in tune during the move, and no more grumbles
from the attendants about having to move the f....piano!

Geoffrey Pollard
Sydney Conservatorium of Music