It's Alive!!!!

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:07:35 -0800

Hi, Fred, Wim, et al,

At 08:05 PM 12/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>  When the travelling virtuoso comes to town, just bring out 14 year old.
>Tell him or her that this is the one Misha Dichter preferred, and that you
>also
>have a very nice new piano that hasn't been played much. Which do you think
>they'll choose?

The problem, of course, is that Misha has (dare I suggest it) real
technique; and understands that piano keys are not simply on/off
switches.  (Many others do, too, obviously...his is just the name that came
up.)

I think this also makes your point (Fred) about the steeper voicing
gradient.  Very important to note that.  It's kind of a fine line...whom do
you try to please?  The person from out of town who is there for one night
(and may well, in many cases, only be interested in his/her check)?  Or,
the person with whom from a certain standpoint, you have to live?  There is
validity in both perspectives.  The fun part is to try to set up an
instrument so that it can, within limits, please both.  Either way, as a
technician, it is a win-win situation for those who want it.

A very long time ago, a company official told several of us that they knew
very well that the S&S piano was not necessarily the best single piano for
any one purpose; but that it was the best compromise instrument...covering
the required ground at a higher overall average than those that perhaps had
lighter/faster actions and/or "cleaner" sound (whatever...these are just
examples).  That person is now long dead...and, even if they weren't, it
would have been a long time since the marketing types there could be that
honest about things anyway.  The point is that, from a certain standpoint,
it really doesn't matter whose name is on the fallboard.  Our work is to
make _that_ piano the best that it can reasonably be...often under
less-than-optimal circumstances.

If you want a real treat, try to get to a live recital with Cipa and
Misha...very different, but very complimentary playing.  Nice to see folks
who so thoroughly enjoy making music.

Best.

Horace