Harpsichord moving?

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:36:55 -0600

At 13:10 12/2/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Our harpsichords are moved frequently and we would like a simpler way to
>move them. They are not on casters, so we use the individual 3-wheel
>rollers under 3 of the legs.
>
>Does anyone have a simple system for moving harpsichords without putting
>them on their sides?
>
>John Minor
>University of Illinois

Hi, John!

You didn't say how far...
or how narrow the way...

low tech approach...

{assuming flügel shape}
on and off stage - 2/3 person lift and carry.

2 person / one on spine and one about at the bend/angle
   - balances well, but needs wide berth

2 person / one at keyboard and one at pointy end
   - strong person at keyboard, but will go through narower door

3 person / one at each corner and one at point
   - coordination needed to avoid kicking hpschd legs, but less strength
needed per person

...further than a few feet, break it down.

HOWEVER... for distances within the building [which is bigger since you
were here last, I think], I do have a {scary,-don't-try-this-at-home} one
person system which involves a 4 wheel piano dolly, a 2x4 with
strategically placed 1/2" deep holes, a couple of quick grip clamps, the
ability to walk backwards and great care over thresholds...

I can substitute a moving blanket for the 2x4 and clamps with one hpschd
which has a trestle stand.

Again, not for the faint of heart, but nobody's around to watch me at 05h30!

did I say low-tech?
;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer
from close enough to the middle of nowhere to see it over the fence.