It's Alive!!!!

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Tue, 02 Dec 2003 11:12:11 -0700

Wim,
    All the stuff that Ed wrote, and then some, but.... well.... Der! Play
it! Talk to any violinist.... virtually no mechanism to break in, but the
instrument isn't alive until it's been played. I've stood there and heard a
medium quality student violin "wake up" tremendously within about two hours
of play.
   I bet they can get a grad student to practice on it.

Oh... and watch out for the pinning. I know, I know.... pinning and tone
and touchweight. I like 5-6 swings, too........ but. On a one year old D,
that's not what the factory set up. From what I've seen so far, with just a
couple of different artists on a couple of new Ds..... the artist seems to
be able to adapt to the lower friction throw than to higher downweight.
Also.... the newer set-up seems to rely a little more on the higher
upweight results from lower friction. The front of the key pops up just a
bit better, and higher pin friction changes that, etc etc etc. But.... I've
heard these artists pull any kind of tone they want outta the dern things.
(with well broken-in hammers and reg) Go figger!

Regards,
Guy

"Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated..."
                                                    anon piano mfg.