melting plastic SOT

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:46:18 -0500

Dorrie,

thanks for your informative reponse to Wim's question. What a resource you
bring to our list!

While I have your ear (so to speak), I wonder if you've contemplated the
mysteries of the many chemicals we use to deal with fricton?

Please do not feel obliged, but if you're willing/interested, here are a few
questions:

1.) I've been told that Protek CLP is a (high-tech) polymer, and I remember
someone drawing link diagrams in vain attempts to register a definition of
"polymer" I would understand. Specifically, I would like to know if/why the
properties of CLP are considered so safe/neutral in application to cloth
parts?

2.) Can you describe (conjecture/verify) the nature/properties of cloth once
treated with CLP?

3.) Why should we not consider this an "oily" (as in felt-contaminating,
dirt-attracting) product?

3.) How would the properties of Mc Lube 444LS (teflon-type liquid) compare
to Protek?

4.) We have many metal/felt contacts within the action, i.e.: capstan to
heel-cloth, key-pin to bushing cloth, spoon to damper-lever cloth, etc.
Although products such as CLP and McLube are recommended for treating both
cloth and metal, is it wise to treat "interacting" parts, such as both the
bushing cloth and the key-pin?

5.) What about treating the metal part with CLP/McLube and the cloth part
with Teflon powder?

Gee, do I ever have alot of questions!

Thanks for your help Dorrie, if you wish, and welcome to the list!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University