Richard Hassig

John Baird jbairdrpt@insightbb.com
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:26:34 -0500

Thanks, Kent, for the notice that one of our profession's greats has passed
on.

Richard Hassig, RPT, was the university technician at Augustana College in
Rock Island, Illinois, but he contributed to our profession well beyond his
job duties there. He taught technical classes to piano technicians, chaired
the PTG Visually Impaired Concerns Committee, consulted with those producing
the Journals on CD-ROM, helped give tuning exams, and wrote articles for the
PTG Journal 15 times. Most of these articles were in a series called "Tools
of the Trade" written from 1985-87. This is what I know from my personal
association with Richard. There's much more, I'm sure.

Richard impressed everyone with his good cheer and his can-do attitude.
Thank goodness God made Richard blind, instead of me. I would have been
handicapped -- Richard wasn't.

Condolences to the Hassig family, to the PTG Tri-City Chapter, and to
University of Iowa technician, Steve Carver, RPT, who thoughtfully assisted
Richard in many ways over the years and co-taught classes with him.

John Baird