Shift Problem - LONG

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:41:53 -0600

    In case anyone's interested, I solved my problem (not quite Avery's) by doing
something slightly different than what I had thought of initially. The underlever
blocks that hold the pivot pin are nice and symmetrical. So I removed them,
reversed them (left to right, not up to down), and drilled a new hole for the
pivot pin on the other end of the blocks about 1/16" farther to the treble (I
decided that was much easier than trying to plug the screw holes and move the
blocks by that small an amount). I had first determined that distance by seeing
how much adjustment I had in the pedal rod (a lot, and screwing the nut down all
the way left the lever end that extends throught the key bed over by about 1/16").

    Result: plenty of room for a stop felt and screw between lever and key bed,
without removing any wood. And plenty of shift. BTW, in case you find the need to
do this, it's finicky work, and requires a drill press (I don't have one here, but
do have a good relationship with the theater tech guy, so I use his. Absolutely
must be 90 degrees). No room for being sloppy. But only took about an hour,
including puzzling through. I knew a little bit would make a big difference, but
didn't realize it would be so drastic a difference. Gives me more of an
appreciation for the factory guys who almost always get it right.
Regards,
Fred