thick or thin

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:31:16 EDT

I am in the process of re-regualting a S&S M, where one of the main problems
was that the keys were too low, (they were almost touching the front rail
when depressed). I raised them all with cardboard and paper punchings.

As I was doing this, I got thinking about this question. Are there any rules
of thumb, or what is the general consensus, as to what thickness the wool
balance rail punching should be? Should we have thick punchings with fewer
paper/cardboard punchings, or thin punchings with lots of paper/cardboard? I
guess I could ask the same for the front rail. Do we use thick felts and
fewer cardboard, or the other way around? Or does it make any difference?

Wim