Strings & Circuits

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:55:28 +0000

I've crossed-posted this to both lists.

Last night I gave a presentation: Strings & Circuits, to the Chicago
Chapter.  The subtitle, Investigating Electronic Tuning Devices, set the
tone for our 3 part evening.

First, using a slinky to demonstrate string motion, we looked at how the
string can resonate at the different partial levels.  Keeping an eye out for
our two main themes, (accuracy doesn't equal precision, and making
assumptions can cause problems.)  We investigated why a piano can be so
difficult to tune.  On display were tuning devices from the last few
decades; simple, template enhanced, and measuring equipment.  Our subjects
for the evening were the Baldwin Hamilton upright pianos from the Arts High
school where I work during the day.  Using graphs to demonstrate tunings
rounded out the first portion of the evening, as calculations from RCT,
Tunelab, SAT and Verituner were compared.

Second, having had tuning help during the day, (thanks, Steve P) I sent
every one off to play 4 different pianos, each tuned with one of the
machines.  The "rules" for tuning, were to just follow the directions from
the manual, calculate a tuning and set it on the piano.  So, these were not
the "best", tweaked tunings available using the machines, but tunings right
out of the box in the default tuning mode.  I heard people playing
music,checking octaves, overall stretch, and specific interval tests.   In
addition, just for fun, I also had one piano that I had tuned "flat-lined",
that is the fundamental tuned to zero from end to end.  You can imagine what
that one sounded like!  The pianos were numbered, without any information
available about the tuning.

I'll let others give their impressions,(Ok everyone, send something in!) but
I heard these comments:

I hear beats in  the octaves on all these pianos
Wow, I was surprised to hear that much difference.
This one, the thirds are real even, but the 4ths and 5ths.....
Number 4 was the best,  just more even and resonant? (yup, Verituner...my
shameless VT plug for today)
This just shows that tuning by ear is the only way to get a good tuning.

A discussion followed, with references back to some graphs helping to
explain how the 4:2 and the 6:3 octaves near the break cannot be reconciled
on these pianos.  The best we can hope for, is "less bad", trying to balance
the differences out.  We finished with loading the same tuning onto all the
machines and tuning random notes across the scale to see what the displays
look like with a note that is moved from in tune, to out of tune, and back.

My goal was to show where and how some troubles can crop up with Electronic
tuning.  I made an appeal for someone to volunteer to give a presentation on
"tweaking and tuning"; hopefully someone will step forward in the
future.....

I had our 7' SF10 tuned and ready to go for a student that had to cancel, so
Frank M consented to play for us.  Full custom "balancing" mode with the VT,
using my own "mini" temperament that I listed a few weeks back.

Always an enjoyable evening; thanks Chicago Chapter!

Ron Koval

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN.