turbo-wippens (follow-up)

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:25:30 -0500

I won't repeat details as to the decision to install the Renner
"assisted-repetions," other than to say the symptoms and application were
"textbook."

In the archives you will recall how surplus lead was removed from the
keyboard in advance, leaving only two in the bass, and one in the tenor, per
key.

Once the wippens were installed (springs engaged) it became apparent that at
least one lead-per-key would have to be re-patriated, to keep the spring
tensions within an adjustable range. The M.O. then was to tension the
springs (holding the short arm in it's slot with a small brass rod, and
adjusting the long arm, thanks: Hans Sanders, RPT) first, then trial-fit the
lead.

As nearly all tenor keys had six leads prior to the weigh-off, it was easy
to find an existing hole for the trim leads.

The piano plays very nicely, I have the hammers quite mellow, and no-one
(even the students) have pains in the wrists from playing at forte level.

I could bore you further with superlatives (it is truly a fine piano), but
the most honest report I can give is that it now plays very much the same as
our non-geometrically challenged Steinways, and only you and I know the
voodoo this particular piano required to achieve this! :>)

Oh yeah, there are still five or six pounds of surplus lead from this action
I intend to showcase  in the Prof's studio, in a "can you guess how many
jelly-beans" kind of jar. This is good medicine for the days when you get a
voice mail thanking you for the "wonderful tuning" that you actually hadn't
gotten around to doing yet!  :>)

best regards to all,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University